Disaster Recovery Center Opens in Prattville

June 22, 2009


MONTGOMERY, Ala. – The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Alabama Emergency Management Agency (AEMA) will open a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) in Prattville, Autauga County, at noon Tuesday, June 23, to help people affected by the May 6-8 storms and flooding.

The DRC will be at the Parks and Recreation Department, 1309 Upper Kingston Road, Prattville, AL, 36067. The hours of operation are Tuesday, noon to 6 p.m. and from Wednesday, June 24 through Saturday, June 27, the center will be open from, 8 a. m. to 6 p.m.

Before visiting the DRC, people are encouraged to register with FEMA online at www.disasterassistance.gov or by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362), (TTY) 800-462-7585 for the hearing- or speech-impaired. The toll-free numbers are available seven days a week, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Help in languages other than English is available.

After registering with FEMA, it is not necessary to visit a DRC. The centers are provided for those who may want to visit personally with a disaster recovery specialist.

Other reasons to visit a DRC would be to check the status of your claim, get answers to questions about the recovery status, or review information FEMA needs to process an individual’s claim. Recovery specialists also can supply contacts for other programs that may be available for further assistance.

In addition, Customer Service Representatives (CSR) from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) will be at the centers to answer questions about the SBA’s low-interest disaster loan program for homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes and private non-profit organizations. These loans are to repair or replace real estate and/or personal property damaged by the severe storms and flooding of May 6 – 8.

SBA CSRs will help complete and accept SBA disaster loan applications. Anyone who cannot visit a DRC should call the SBA Customer Service Center from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday, toll-free at 800-659-2955 for information and assistance or visit the SBA Web site at www.sba.gov/services/.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.