Historic Walking Tours
The Autauga County Heritage Association conducts guided historic walking tours in downtown Prattville annually, each Saturday in June. The Autauga County Heritage Association (ACHA) was formed in 1976.
ACHA has achieved/contributed so much in 34 years.
- Relocated and restored endangered historic Mim's Hotel to Old Prattvillage on First Street in 1982.
- Joined with Historic Prattville Redevelopment Authority in preserving Daniel Pratt Cemetery and kept it from being moved due to vandalization in 1992.
- Began placing historical markers in the county in 1994.
- Established in 1994 and continues to manage the Prattaugan Museum and Archives on Main Street in historic downtown.
- Hosted Historic American Engineering Record Team for two summers (1997 and 1998) while they studied, documented, and recorded history of the original Daniel Pratt Cotton Gin Factory (Continental Eagle Gin Corporation) and Prattville Manufacturing Company (Gurney Cotton Mill). These documents are now part of the Library of Congress Archives in Washington, D.C.
- Co-hosted the Alabama Historical Association in 1984 and 1999.
- Developed projects and events for The Daniel Pratt Celebration in 1999 including the Daniel Pratt Symposium for Pratt's bicentennial birthday.
- Relocated and restored endangered Slaton House to Old Prattvillage on First Street in 2000.
- Daniel Pratt Historic District established in 2002.
- Managed and supported Buena Vista plantation house in conjunction with Union Camp from 1982 until the property was deeded to Autauga County Heritage Association in 2007 by International Paper.
- Have hosted such events as Historical Pilgrimages, Christmas Galas, Balls, Souper Bingos, Murder Mystery Dinners, Ginger Bread Christmas Celebrations at Buena Vista, Low Country Boils, Walking Tours, Driving Tours, Front Porch Tours, Book Signing Events, Ghost Hunting at Buena Vista, and sponsored many guest speakers.
- They continue their annual tradition of celebrating Daniel Pratt's birthday with a Wreath Laying Ceremony and Birthday Cake!
Contact ACHA to become a member or to get involved: